SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help finding Counterbalance Spring

A home owner from Houston Texas says:

I need to replace the counterbalance spring assembly for my aluminum windows. The manufacturer name is not listed on the window however I did find a sticker with the following information on one of my windows.

ANSI/AAMA 101-93
Code: C-038-1
Spec: DH R25
Series: 25
MST: 4173

Without the manufacturers name finding parts has been difficult. The windows are 58" high, 35" wide and the sliding pan is 30" high. Is it possible if you could determine the manufacturer by the information I have listed above. I have not had any luck with any of my local hardware stores.

Thanks in advance
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Ahmad. I'm not sure what you have. Could I see a few pictures of the balance in question? Thanks!
A home owner from Houston Texas says:
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That picture is perfect, thank you. It looks like you have a specially made balance with our 15-073 shoe. We can make it for you, fortunately. Check out this custom spiral balance request form that I've started for you and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote shortly thereafter.
A home owner from Houston TX says:
Tom, Thank you very much for your help. I have one more question, there is a piece on the sliding window that needs to be removed before installing the counterbalance spring. Any ideas on how to remove it? I have included a couple of pictures. I don't know if it requires any special tools? Regards, Ahmad
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see what you have. Unfortunately, this is a builder's grade window. These things are not meant to be removed for some reason, which makes repairing them a pain. That's not to say it's impossible, though. You can still replace the balance, but you will have to drop it down from the top while the window is still installed. You may want to have another person on hand to help you out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)