SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

15-046 does not lock tight in window track

A home owner from Cincinnati says:
I replaced two spiral balances and two pivot shoes. I very carefully measured the original pivot shoe and ordered replacement 15-046 http://www.swisco.com/Pivot-Shoe-1_2-inch-Thick/pd/Tilt-Window-Replacement-Pivot-Lock-Shoes/15-046. When in place and turned to lock position it firms up but can still be moved with some pressure on it. Original locked tight and wouldn't budge.

Questions:

Despite my careful measurements and the fact that looks identical, can I assume I got the wrong size if it wont lock tight?

and

Even though it doesn't lock tight the window works fine. Should that be the case?

Many thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! If you have the window working, I would leave it alone. However if you run into any problems in the future, or for the next time you replace this hardware, you might want to consider a 9/16 thick pivot shoe like our 15-118. The widow track might have spread over the years through use and age, which would cause the shoe to slip a little when in the locked position.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)