SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

17" channel balance stamped 86 16-0 GA5 CMC 1

A quick learner from Nevada says:
I believe that what I have is a 17" Series 385 Channel Balance, but I need assistance to determine any option. Thank you.
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I can see where your problem is. A stamp of 16-9 does not correspond to any options available for the Series 385 channel balance. Therefore, we will need to know the weight of your window sash, so that we can determine the appropriate option.
The difference between my weight without holding the window (on my bathroom scale) and my weight holding the window is 20 pounds.

The balance on the other side of the window is stamped 15 5 FU CMC 2. I think the one that broke (the string broke) is a replacement.
Profile picture of Paul
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Is the total weight of your sash 20 pounds? It's best if you aren't holding the window while you weigh it. Please also make sure that the sash is completely removed from the window

As for your second balance, is that in the same window as the balance marked 16-9? If so, can you take it out and measure its length as well? Are the plastic attachments the same?

It sounds like one of your balances was not replaced correctly. Typically, both balances should be the same.
Thank you for your patience. I carefully adjusted my scale and discovered that the sash alone by itself weighs 19 lbs.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. In that case, you'd want to choose the 1640 stamp option, which can support a window sash weight range of 14 through, and including, 19 pounds.

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
I am happy to report that I have received and installed my new channel balances. My window is operating once again. Thank you for your help in determining the correct part and for an affordable alternative to having a window company repair it.
Profile picture of Paul
Great news! I'm glad to hear that our hardware worked out so well. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to help!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)