SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

1/8" backed adhesive Fin pile

A home owner from USA says:
I'm looking for replacement fin pile weatherstripping for my old 3-track storm windows. The slot for the fin is a little over 1/8", but it is crimped in several locations and I could not get the 3/16" inch fin pile that I bought to slide in. Do you carry pile with an adhesive backed fin that is an actual 1/8" wide?
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid that the only self-adhesive wool pile we have is the 58-026, which has a 1/4" base. Would it be possible for you to install it below your existing wool pile groove? Another thought is to clear out the crimps. Try using a heavy utility knife (be careful when using it so you don't cut yourself) and run that through the groove. You could also use a small chisel or flat screw driver to clean out the crimps. I have done that in the past when repairing windows. It is not easy but it is possible.
A home owner from st. Paul, MN says:
Thanks for your quick response and suggestions. I've got a lot of storms, and don't have time for the many, many hours that it would take to get all those crimps out. Even with the crimps out, the groove is probably too small. I'm going to try to find a way to trim the fin on some 1/4" wool pile and see if I can make that work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)