1936 Fenestra Operator

A handy person from Rochester, NY says:
I have several of the operators pictured which need replacement. It looks like item 39-344 and 39-358 should do the trick.

My issue is with removing the old operator. The three mounting screws are pretty well seized up so I'll probably have to do some cutting/grinding. However, I don't want to damage the mounting plate. Is there a better way to approach this? If not, do the appropriate mounting screws come with the new operators?

Thanks,
-Alex
User submitted photo of their window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The 39-358 does come with installation screws. I'm also not sure if they will be the same as what you have now. You might need to check with a local hardware store if you need different screws.

Removing the existing screws is the big problem. I would try a lubricant like WD-40. Funnily enough, I have also heard that beer does something to the metal to help loosen screws, in some cases. You could also try a heat gun or possibly a hair dryer. Sometimes a little heat does the trick to loosen screws, but you don't want to do it too much as you could damage the frame or start a fire.
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.