1955 house with spiral balances

A quick learner from Falmouth, MA says:
Is there any item available to replace these spiral balances? Trying to re-install them is a painful process. Many have broken covers, and if there is an alternate product available I would be interested. Perhaps something that fits against the existing sides and applies pressure to hold the window up/down? If not, what information do you need in order to determine the correct replacement part? I really dislike these spiral balances? Thanks for any help you can provide.
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Just by eyeballing this balance, I think you might have something like our Series 500 spiral balance. That said, I can't be sure without knowing more dimensions. What is the diameter of the balance tube? Is it 5/8" like our Series 500?

If so, these can definitely be tricky to install. Take a look at our tutorial guide on the best way to install these balances. This should give you a good idea of what to do. Since these are wood sashes, you should also check out our 17-012 bracket.
A handy person from Falmouth, MA says:
Thanks for the info. I measured the tube and it looks like it's 9/16 so I am thinking 5/8 would work? I might be too exact here!

Question on the 17-012 bracket - is it stainless or brass? I thought I saw a brass one as well. Those in the window now are severely rusted.
Profile picture of Paul
Actually, 9/16" is perfect. Many thicker spiral balances measure 9/16", but are still considered 5/8" in the trade.

Our 17-012 is, unfortunately, just steel.
A home owner from Falmouth MA says:
Ok - so I have two balances that measure 25" and 2 that are 27" and are 5/8" wide. The sash weighs about 12 - 14 lbs - so which color should i choose?
Profile picture of Paul
I think you'd be good with a Red Tip. For each size, two balances with a Red Tip can hold a window sash weight of 7 through 29 pounds.
A handy person from Falmouth MA says:
Great! Your web site is great, and the timely answers are very helpful. I'll order parts for 2 sashes to start and see how it goes! Thanks again!
Profile picture of Paul
Awesome! I was glad to be of service. Please let me know if you need anything else.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.