SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

1957 Arcadia Sliding Door handle and lock

A home owner from San Rafael, CA says:
Hi, I'm looking for the handle and lock for 2 Arcadia Sliding Doors in a 1957 Eichler. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
User submitted photo of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I thought I had seen all of the Arcadia sliding door handles and locks there was, but yours is not familiar to me.

Does this door have an internal mortise lock? If possible, Send us some photos showing the edge of the door where it locks into the jamb. It might also helpful to show us some photos of the handle and lock removed from the door. Finally, show the door itself and the mounting holes. Please include your measurements in all instances. Thank you!
A professional from California says:
I think this uses the parts in my attachment. This handle and mortise are no longer available from the only source I know of. The main problems with using a different lever are that it needs to be very long to reach through the handle and the slot in the mortise is thinner than most currently available levers. I was able to cut out a slot under the handle and cobble together the lever shown in the last picture. Getting the lever thin enough to fit the mortise was a challenge. These doors were next to each other, so the owner wanted them to match as closely as possible. You may find it easier to adapt an 82-033 or something similar.
User submitted photos of patio door handles.
Hi, attached is a JPG of the measurements that I took this morning. The photo above from another commentor looks close but the silver arcadia panel in the middle on mine is darker, maybe because of age?

I wasn't able to take my handles off as there was no visible screws for me to undo. Does anyone know how to remove these handles from the door?

Dave, yes this used to have a mortise lock.

Any help and/or possible replacement would be a big help! Appreciate it!

User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
I'm not sure how to remove this Arcadia handle, though it looks like you did eventually get it off. I would try to see if there is a set screw on the edge of the inside handle. See if the handle cover snaps off. Also check the helpful post above by the professional from California, that may offer you some insight.
Thanks Dave. Actually, the photo without the handle is of the second sliding door. The first sliding door has the handle but I can't figure out how to remove it.

What other handles would you recommend other than 82-033 http://www.swisco.com/Patio-Glass-Door-Handle-Set/pd/Patio-Glass-Door-Replacement-Locking-Handles/82-033 ?And how do I search for similar products? I assume I'm looking for handles that match the 1 5/8" holes or am I looking for the 3 1/2" holes as noted in the diagram for the inside and outside?
Profile picture of Dave
I don't think you will find a replacement option that will fit your screw holes exactly. You very well may need to re-drill your holes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)