SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

1957 steel casement window weatherstripping

A landlord from Montgomery, AL says:
My husband and I are repairing steel casement windows in a house built in 1957. They do not have weatherstripping, at this time. What type of weatherstripping should we use?
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Wow, this is an old window! In fact, when these windows were made, there was no need for weatherstripping, so this might be tricky. I can suggest two possible solutions.

First, you can purchase our stick-on wool pile 58-026. Keep in mind that the surface has to be very clean, or else the adhesive backing won't be able to stick as well.

The second possible way is to take one of the screens to a local hardware store and see if they can make a glass storm panel of the same size. Personally, I think this is your best choice. I don't suggest going to a window manufacturer, because they will only want to sell you a whole new window.
A landlord from Montgomery, AL says:
We are learning much through this process! Thank you for your helpful tips.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
My pleasure. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to offer whatever insight I can.
A contractor from Tucson Arizona says:
We have many old steel casement windows in Arizona. We use a method of stripping down the window to the steel and after repainting the frames and replacing hardware use 100% clear silicone caulking and cut 1" wide long strips of wax paper and apply a straight clean bead of silicone to the inside surface of the steel casement window that sit flat along the window frame all around the open window while the silicone bead is still wet place strips of wax paper onto the wet silicone to secure wax paper in place then close the window as normal and let dry for 24+ hours to completely cure. Then open the unlock and open the window remove the wax paper and trim excess to Look clean and you have custom fit weather stripping that fills all the slight irregular surfaces and gaps that are inherent with older steel casement windows.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)