SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

1978 Window Repair Parts

A landlord from Parker, CO says:
Hello,

I have a set of windows originally installed in 1978. They have had no maintenance work performed on them since that time. They are aluminum double-hung windows. The bottom window can move up and down as well as tilt in and out.

I am looking for repair parts. Specifically, I'm looking for Tilt latches, pivot lock shoes, and spiral balances.

At this moment, I only have photos of the tilt latches. I'll provide photos of the other items in a future letter. I also have a photo of the manufacturer's label; however most of the text has faded away. This is the only label that I was able to find.

I do not see these specific items listed in your online catalog. Do you have compatible items or items not listed online?

Thank you,

Peter

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Peter! Thank you for the great images, they are a huge help. You have an old Acorn window, which is a company that has long since gone out of business. We have a few possible replacements, but not for everything you need.

I believe the balance matches our Series 900 3/8" diameter spiral balance, and the shoe looks like our 15-015. I think our 26-040 tilt bar can replace the one you have. Just make sure the dimensions we show for this hardware matches your own.

That top tilt latch is nowhere to be found, unfortunately. I believe your top sash rail is 1", so I suggest a newer Acorn latch like our 26-169. This is simply screwed in from the top. Please review and let me know what you think.
A landlord from Parker, CO says:
Thanks, I've placed an order for several of these parts. We'll see how my installation goes.

I have another question: One of my windows always has moisture in the interior between the two glass panes. The condensation appears regardless of the temperature outside (hot, or cold). Another window has large quantities of what appears to be dust that moves around when the window is tilted (i.e. affected by gravity and motion).

Is there anything that I can do to repair this? If so, what would you recommend?

Thank you,

Peter
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, Peter. I'm glad the hardware Paul suggested matches.

As for the moisture and dust problems, I'm afraid there's not much you can do to repair that. You will need to contact a local glass shop and see what they suggest. There is a good chance you will need to replace the glass.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)