SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

1980 Vintage window balances

A home owner from USA says:
I have a situation....(you knew that)....the spiral balances are, to say the least, not working well or at all. The situation is...local glass companies tell me "no parts available" and it will be about 1K to replace.

Here are some pictures that may or may not help you in identifying parts. It appears as though there is a non bracketed attachment at the bottom of the balance.

The other issue is the nylon keepers that are missing.

Hopefully you will be able to ID the parts and advise if replacements are available.
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. This looks like a builder's grade window with a 3/8" thick Series 400 non tilt balance. The balance clip could be our 17-010 or 17-094, but I'm not sure. The face guide could be our 67-014 or 67-015. You might have to use 67-002 screw on face guide because I don't think these sashes will come out for you. Please review this hardware and let me know what you think.
A home owner from USA says:
I have removed the balances and find that the bottom attachment is different than any of your options. These do not have a color cap. They are 29" rods.

The face guide is similar to 67-104 but the visible portion is 2/16 smaller/shorter than 67-104.

Hopefully you will have a suggestion for the new rods and bottom attachment.

thanx in advance

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great, thank you! This balance looks like our Series 306 spiral balance. Check it out and see if you agree. As for the face guide, I wonder if our 67-026 might not be a better match? It would be up to you. Compare it to your original to see how well they line up.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)