SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

2 Bar hinge set

A home owner from USa says:
I purchased the set of hinges 36-013-10. I compared it to the old one (Brass about 25 years old Truth). It fit in the same screw holes and works fine. However, window closes to about one and a half inches from locks. The closer seems to have reached its limit. What is wrong? Thank.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The first thing I would do is to disconnect the operator itself and try to open and close the window manually. If it doesn't mind, you'll know if the operator is bad. If it still binds, though, then the next thing to check is if you have any screws interfering with the nylon hinge guide. If a screw is sticking up that could affect the operation. If it's still not closing, you might have to reinstall the hinge. I recommend moving it closer in to the corner of the window frame.
A quick learner from CT says:
Dave: Thanks. The window moves freely from open to close fully when not connected to closer. If I need a new closer which do I buy to go with above ID'ed hinges 36-013 10? Barry
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I suspected as much. I would be happy to help you find a new operator, but there are many possibilities. Please remove one from the window and take a few pictures of it for us to look at and we can find you a good match!
A quick learner from NEW LONDON CT says:
I have several pictures for you. One showing how far window closes. One showing closer attached to new hinge. three of old hinge with ruler.

Since the only old part left is bracket should we replace it also? If so recommend one

User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks Barry, those pictures are perfect. I would start by looking at our 39-187 and 39-188. Carefully compare these operators to your own hardware and see if they match.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)