SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

2 issues - window balance & window lock - TROUBLE

A handy person from HARRISONBURG, VA says:
The first issue concerns a window spiral balance. The balance showing in the image (file name is "front win balance attach IMG_02") is a Swisco product. It has been in use for approx. 6 years. The top of the balance pops out of the square hole in the side of the window- the square is deformed. It is where the expanding square nut fits. The other image (file name is "front win balance attach IMG_01") shows the square hole alone. The square expanding plastic nut is fastened with a phillips head screw which connects the top of the spiral balance to the window channel. The window material is vinyl- it is a double hung, tilt type.

The second issue is a kitchen window lock (file name is "kitch win lock IMG_01"). The left side of the lock is held by a phillips screw. The left side screw that fastens the lock down from the top, has stripped out the threads in the top of the lower window sash. It happened after the lock was forced shut numerous times. It is a vinyl window. The window was not closing properly-- the result is a stripped thread set. The lock measures 2-1/4" from hole-to-hole, & 3/8" from hole to front of lock. How can I fix these? Thank you.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I can see from your photos that you have a balance like our Series 600 spiral balance. The nylon screw plug is likely similar to our own 26-200. Like you say, the hole in your window could be deformed and not holding in the nylon plug anymore. Normally we recommend the 33-016 screw, which is 1" long. However I would suggest using an even longer screw which will go through the 26-200 and into the wood on the side of the window. That would be the best way to secure the top of the balance into the frame. That's what I usually do in this scenario, anyway.

As for the lock, I suggest looking at our first 90-173. It has the same hole center spacing as yours. Let me know your thoughts!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)