SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

20 year old Velux skylight

A handy person from Three Rivers MI says:
I have stripped the hex off of my crank to opener adaptor.
Will the V5606 work to replace this part? Would I have to replace the crank handle too. Please let me know what options you have to repair this. Thanks John
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The 39-550 could possibly work for you, yes. How does it compare to the broken adapter? Are the dimensions and style the same?
A quick learner from Three Rivers MI says:
Thank you for your response. The pics below show what I have. Almost the same as yours but with a stud protruding. Will adaptor fit using a new hook to open the skylight? Thanks John
User submitted a photo of skylight operator hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
It's hard to say. I've never seen an adapter like this. Could I see a few pictures of the skylight operator itself? Specifically the hole in which the adapter would plug in.
A quick learner from Three Rivers MI says:
I thought I attached this pic.
User submitted a photo of skylight operator hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Great, thank you. I'm not sure. Looks like the skylight operator is the male end while the handle adapter is the female end. Is that the case? If so, I don't think our 39-550 will work for you, since it's the male end meant to work with the 39-405, which is female.

Here's what I think you should try to do before you buy any new hardware. Try to pack out the hex that you've stripped with some tape or maybe adhesive and see if you can get a few more years out of it that way. If not, you may have to consider replacing the whole system.
A quick learner from Santa Cruz, CA says:
Tom-

This is exactly the part I need. The 5/16 hex is stripped. This part it about one inch long and has a center hold for a screw to secure it to the mechanism.

Is the part available or do you know where it can be found?

Does the 39-550 part have a center hole going through both hex elements?

Thanks Mike

Profile picture of Tom
I'm afraid we don't have this adapter. I don't believe it's a style Velux makes anymore. Our 39-405 operator and its related parts are currently the only Velux parts we carry.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)