SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

23-028 with metal rollers?

A home owner from Laguna Niguel says:
My mirrored sliding doors appear to have 23-028 roller assemblies. My long-standing problem is that they have a stick/slip action but once enough energy is exerted to get them rolling, they glide easily. Dry or oily lubricants are ineffective at removing the static stick condition. I'm thinking may be wheels become slightly flat (plastic cold flow). Do you have concave wheels made of metal? The adjustable inner assembly was easy to remove but the entire assembly may not be (it's over 25 years old); however, I am prepared to buy entire new assemblies, even with plastic rollers if metal ones are not available. My goal will be to extract the new sliding part and replace it in the old fixture. Please give me a recommendation. Thanks. Allan
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, we do not have a version of the 23-028 with a metal wheel. I assume your nylon wheels are ball bearing, like our 23-028. When you lubricate, did you lubricate the bearings? Also, is the track damaged or does it have any "hills and valleys" that will cause the wheel to wear out?
A quick learner says:
Paul, Your questions triggered my imagination. I think I solved this long-standing mystery. The problem seems related, not to the bottom rollers but to the top guides. They are made of vinyl and after applying a bit of grease, ease of rolling is vastly improved. The part in the photo definitely feels dirty/sticky. I don't see anything like it among your replacement part offerings. Do you have any suggestions? As a minimum I will clean all four, lubricate and reinstall but new ones would be better.

Thanks.
User submitted photos of closet door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Hello again! We might be able to help replace this, though it will take some research. Can you tell me its dimensions? Specifically, I would like its width x length. With that information I will look into a few possible replacement parts and let you know.
A quick learner says:
The width of my guides are ~1 1/2 inches. The track width is about 1/16 wider. The length is ~2" but could be longer without any problem. The old ones are definitely improved with clean up but I can see the old stick problem will resurface soon.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to us. Unfortunately, we have determined that this part is discontinued and no longer available. We have no substitutes at this time. I am sorry we cannot offer a better match!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)