SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

24HD vs 24XHD

A handy person from California says:
I am replacing both tilt-window channel balances on an Anderson double-hung. One balanced was marked "24HD" and he other "24XHD." What is the difference between these two? I would like to replace them both with your 25" Series 751 with 24HD equivalence.

Is this a correct replacement?
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
To check, remove the window sash and place it on a scale. A 25" Series 751 with stamp option 24HD will carry a window sash weight range of 18 through and including 22 pounds.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
A quick learner from California says:
The sash weighs about 30 pounds. Does this mean the 24XHD (one on each side) is the proper balance?

It is not a standard item in your online database, but can you provide it? If so, how can I get a quote?

Thanks for your quick response. It is not very often that a question like this can be answered on a Sunday!
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
For a 30 pound sash with S751-25, choose 24TG stamp option, this will carry a window sash weight range of 22 through and including 30 pounds.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)