26" Series 385 Channel Balance

A quick learner from Eugene, Oregon says:
Hi, After measuring my parts and doing the research on your site, I have determined that I need the 26" Series 385 Channel Balances to replace what I have, which are marked: 25 5 CS Caldwell.

My question is about the weight. I weighed my window sash and it weighs 23 lbs., but according to the research on my (Caldwell) number, you have recommended the 2550 (for a sash weight of 25-28 lbs to others with a number like mine. If my sash weight is 23 lbs., am I better off ordering the 2540 (which is recommended for a sash weight of 19-25 lbs)? What would the difference be between the 2540 and the 2550?

Thanks,

Steven
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! If your sash weight is 23 pounds, I would definitely go with 2540. 2550 would be too strong. Have you ever found your windows difficult to close in the past?

I can't say why the original installers used the "25 5" stamp in your window if it was 23 pounds. It could be they had nothing else handy, or they thought "stronger is better." You definitely don't want a spring that's too strong, though. Like I mentioned, you could have a hard time closing the sash, and if it's especially strong, the window could even drift open after being closed.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.