SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

27' spiral balance 3/8

A home owner from Paso Robles, Ca says:
Need several 3/8" spiral balances for AN OLDER (+/-1987) "BETTER BUILT" WINDOW. The tip on the others is red.

I bought 3 replacement balances from another company. All 3 broke (spiral part inside the shaft) after installing them. It appears that the spiral part does not extend properly.

Hate those windows. I think the other company sold me crappy parts OR Am I doing something wrong. I watched the video and it appears that I am doing all the right things. BUT every time I CLOSE the window after installing the new balance it breaks. That is to say the spiral part inside the tube breaks.

Any suggestions? Also I need to by at least 4 more.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I see you bought our Series 900 spiral balance. Is that what you have? If I'm reading your post correctly, after you screw the top of the balance to the window track, the inner spiral itself is too short and doesn't reach the sill. Am I correct?

If so, I don't think it's a problem with the quality of the balance, but more likely just an incorrect replacement. I think you need a longer balance like our S900-28. Alternatively, if you still have other 27" long balances that aren't broken, redrill the top hole in the track a little lower so that the spiral hits the sill.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)