SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

28.5 crossbow series 850 balance

A home owner from Raleigh, NC says:
I have MW windows in my home, which was built in 2000. Tow of the single hung windows do not work any more, when trying to raise the sashes. They fall back down. I need to replace the balance on both sides of both windows.

I discovered MW windows was bought out and thus I may not be able to get parts from them anymore. I believe you can help me. I have included photos of the parts in question. The only thing that may be different is there is a clip attached to the end of a line, which plugs into the wall of the window. One clip is broken, so I would need one to replace the broken one. I have measured the balance as shown in the samples, and they measure 28.5", and the shoe measures 1 inch.

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posing, Alexander. I'm afraid that top plastic hook is no longer made. However, you should be able to still use our S850-28. You would just also need our 26-200 screw plug, which fits right in the slot formerly used for the hook. You can then screw the balance directly to that with a 33-020 screw.
A home owner from NC says:
Hello Tom, thanks for your reply and suggestion. The hook/clip is at the end of a 34" line. Will your S 850 28.5" balance with the 26-200 screw plug work with this scenario? I think the video I saw on your website, had the screw in attachment directly on the end of the balance. Please advise.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The top metal clip on the S850-28 is attached to the cord, not the balance rod itself. It works the same way as the old hook, except with a screw hole. Like Tom mentioned, all you need is a 26-200 screw plug and a 33-020 screw to convert the new style balance to work in your window.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)