SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

2940 Window Balance

A contractor says:
I'm looking for a replacement for a 2940 balance. The metal is 30' long and 1/2" wide. It has 2940 BSI FA stamped on it. I've enclosed pictures to help identify the guides. Thank you
User submitted photos of their channel balances stamped 2940.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
This appears to be the S385-30 Channel Balance with the stamp 2940.
A quick learner from florida says:
Can i increase the spring strength by ordering a 2950 or 2960 and have the two plastic ends remain the same as on the 2940?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I think you may be confused. The plastic ends have nothing to do with the stamp. The stamp only tells you how strong the spring is, and in regards to that you should only get a spring strength that can carry your sash; no more, no less. It is possible for a spring to be too strong and damage your window! We have a handy chart on all our channel balance Series that gives the strength of each option. All you need to do is weigh your sash and compare that weight to the chart.
A quick learner from florida says:
Thanks Tom,

The window sash weighs 34lbs. Do you have (6) 2950 window balancers with the same plastic tips shown above? I believe they are 19-005 & 15-004. I also need (6) sash cams CRL H3838. Can all items be shipped in same box and total cost of order?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Have you seen our S385-30 store page? We have a list of each option and how much weight they can support. The 2950 option, however, cannot carry your sash weight. I would recommend our 2960 option instead, which can carry a sash weight of 32 through 36 pounds. All pricing can be found directly on our site, which is also where you can place your order.

As for the top sash guide, see our 18-166 and let me know if that's a match. You will need to carefully compare our dimensions to your own to confirm.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)