3240 or 3250 option.

A quick learner from WA says:
Hello, so I have a Caldwell 32 4 LN channel balance with a 33" length and sash weight of 28lbs. In measuring the Channel top and shoe, the dimensions seem matched with the S380-33 (although the shoe measurement is slightly larger than 1" but definitely not 1 3/32" to move to a S385-33). My question is twofold:

1) the top range of the 3240 option is 28lbs whereas the 3250 option has 28lbs at the bottom of its range. Which should I choose for a 28lb sash?
2) if the shoe measurement is slightly larger than 1" but smaller than 1 3/32" should I still go with the S380 channel balance versus moving up to the S385.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If your sash weight is exactly 28 pounds, I suppose you could use either option, but you may want to see if it leans one way or the other. Typically, we like to stick with what was used originally, especially if you found it worked fine while you had it. In your case, it would be the 3240 option.

If your shoe is more than 1", but less than 1-3/32", I would go with the Series 385 instead. It's likely it was once 1-3/32", but wore down a little over time.
A quick learner from WA says:
Ok, I think it was probably 1-3/32" and was worn down otherwise, I would guess it would be less than 1" from wear.

As to the weight, the sash came in a t 27.6 lbs so it is borderline but i will take your advice and go with the 3240 option. The one think I notice, however, is that some of our windows can be a real struggle to pull down. Would that be helped with the 3250 or make it worse?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, if the sash is 27.6 pounds then I would definitely go with the 3240. You mention that some windows are harder to pull down; this happens when a balance is too strong. A 3250 option would actually make it worse. You may want to weigh those sashes to be sure that 3240 is the right option. You don't want to just go to 3230 without checking, since you don't want to risk getting balances that are too weak. These things are like Goldilocks' porridge: they need to be just right.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.