34" Series 900 Spiral Balance (Green Tip) Maximum Charge

A quick learner from Arizona says:
I have a question about the S900-34 green tip spiral balance. I have replaced a pair of spiral balances on a tilt window and matched the length and tip color (34
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid your question was cut off. However, based on your title, it seems like you may have been inquiring about how many times to wind the S900-34. We recommend three clockwise turns. You should feel the tension as you do this. Once you've done this for both balances and find that the window still creeps down, give them another turn. You don't want to do much more than that or you risk damaging them.
A quick learner from Scottsdale, AZ says:
Yes, my question was cut off. I need to wind the 34" series 900 green tips 15-20 times to allow tilt window to remain in place and move smoothly up-and-down. This seemed like excessive winding and I'm concerned it will adversely impact balance life. Can you comment?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
That is excessive, yes. I suspect the S900-34 is the improper replacement part for your window. What is the diameter of the outer tube for your old balances? Also, what is the weight of your sash?
A quick learner says:
I matched the length (34") and tip color (green) to the originals. The sash is about 25-30 lbs. The diameter of the old balances is about 10 mm (I couldn't find my calipers, so I might be off by a mm or two).
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! It sounds like the issue is the sash weight. Can you get an exact weight? A Green Tip option can only carry 14 through 26 pounds. If yours is over 26 pounds, then it would be too weak. Consider instead the Yellow Tip, which can carry 24 through 34 pounds.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.