3/8 inch tube balance

A handy person from Jensen Beach, FL says:
I am unable to identify end bushing. I weighed the window and it is just under 17 lbs. on a digital postal scale.

Thank You,
Dennis
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Dennis. Based on your description, it sounds like you have a spiral balance. Is that correct? If so, I just had a couple other questions. First, is your window tilt or non-tilt? Can you also tell me the length of the tube? That will help us determine what color tip you need. Thanks!
A quick learner from Jensen Beach, FL says:
Sorry Tom. It is a spiral balance, on tilt window.Tube length is 23 inches
Profile picture of Tom
Perfect! Sounds like you have something like our S900-23, then. With that in mind, I recommend the Red Tip option. Two S900-23 balances with a Red Tip can carry a window sash weight of 7 through 21 pounds.
Hi Tom. One more question. What keeps the pivot shoe
and spiral balance once under tension in an extended position to allow for re installation of the tilt window?

Thanks,
Dennis
Profile picture of Tom
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why the shoe stays up when the sash is removed from the window? It's because when the cam of the pivot shoe is turned to a certain angle, it locks the shoe into place. When the sash is placed back into the shoe and tilted back into position, it unlocks the shoe, allowing the sash to slide up and down freely. Check out the video below to see what I mean.
Thanks, Ton
Will check my measurements again and place my order.We're in a condo with 100 units. I wonder how everybody has the same problems.
Dennis
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.