SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

4 sliding glass doors

A home owner from Cathedral City, CA says:
Hello all,
Googling the only identifier I could find on any of my 4 sliding doors (SGD-R20-96x96) led me to you folks. Hopefully you can direct me to the proper source should you be unable to assist.

Background: My home was built in 2005. I purchased the property directly from a lender in 2009. Because the developer had gone belly up by the time of my purchase I was never able to obtain a list of vendors, appliance manuals, etc.

Currently, one of my sliders opens on the left and I'd like it to open on the right. I am aware that to successfully accomplish the switch, the door must be engineered for this capability.

From the sole identifier I've discovered, can you tell me if my doors are engineered to allow the movable panel to be switched with the stationary panel? I know the panels must be flipped upside down to accomplish the switch, but I don't know if rollers exist on what presently is the top of the door. Do they exist?

One last question. What is the name of the manufacturer?

Many thanks, Martin
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, Martin. Hopefully I can help. Based on the information you gave us, it sounds like you might have a Paramount door from out of Arizona, but that is more of an educated guess. "SGD-R20" is a generic code used for many sliding doors.

That said, I think there's a good chance your door is reversible. A good way to be sure is to check to see if it has a double interlock. If so, you just remove both doors, swing them to the other side and reverse the lock.

If not, you will need to tumble both doors, remove the rollers on the sliding door and install them on the other side, then reverse the lock.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything!
A home owner from Cathedral City, CA says:
Hi Dave. Thanks for responding. And thanks for your clarification offer.

I bravely attempted to research your reference to "double interlock". I googled it and found little, if anything that appeared to apply to doors, so I went to Paramount's (in Phoenix) website (I think. There's one in Winnepeg, Canada also...) Finding that their website was a wealth of NON-information, I'm back to you.

I'm guessing that the double interlock might be located where the margins of the 2 doors meet when closed, so as to 1) minimize air flow between the 2 doors, and 2) disallow the outer door from being removed when the inner door is closed/locked. But, as I said, I'm just guessing...

Thanks again for your help.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Some vinyl patio doors are able to switch which side opens. The sliding door, in some cases, has a cut at on both the top and bottom ends of the door. We did talk about the interlock where both doors meet at the middle of the track. Again, the stationary might also be able to be flipped to reverse the opening. However some doors have a fixed stationary panel which cannot be removed. Look at the video below, that might help. A few photos of the door you are speaking of could also help us narrow down the possible solution.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)