SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

40-186 Security Screen door lock persisting problem

A quick learner from KIHEI, HI says:
My Security Screen door has your patent No. 4.578.967 on the lock assembly. I have a number of your locks and have a continuing problem i.e. The inside door handle does not move the latch in as far as the outside handle, so my renters are locked in until someone opens the the door using the outside handle. All the parts look fine but this problem happens a lot. I've replace the lock once but the same problem recurrs. What can I do? It's brown in finish.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure why the latch wont go in far enough to unlatch the door from the inside. Make sure that the outside and inside handles are lined up and secured correctly on the door. Also try lubricating the latch.

One thing you can try is to remove the latch from the door and try to see if you can work the lockset manually, without it. Another possibility is that the strike plate attached to the jamb is not installed correctly. Lastly, the mortise lock could be worn.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)