SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

40-186 for 1-3/8" sized doors?

A quick learner from Sacramento says:
My security door is 1 3/8" wide. I see that the 40-186 is made for doors up to 1" wide. Do you have a mortise lock set with dimensions similar to the 40-186 for a door 1 3/8" wide???
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You mention that your storm door has similar dimensions to the 40-186. Since your door is also wider, I don't think the 40-186 is what you want. You may need something different. Can you show me a few pictures of your existing storm door handle set? Could you also give me the dimensions? Finally, if you see any numbers or markings, or if you know the name of the manufacturer, that information would help as well.
A quick learner from Sacramento says:
I have the 40-186 in the door now. It's not a great fit, but I have rigged it to work. One of the door handles has snapped into two pieces. The dimensions of the 40-186 fit except for the door width.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
We would like to be sure you are getting the correct handle for your door. They way you say that you rigged it up to work on your door leads us to believe it is not the original handle that came with your door. However, it you do feel that the 40-186 will fit except for the thickness of the door, you might be able to reuse the same longer spindle and screws that you have now.

But like I said, the 40-186 may not be your best choice. Do you know the manufacturer of your door at all? Can you see any stamps or markings that could give us a clue as to who made the door? Can we also see some pictures?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)