SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

40-189 question

A quick learner from Conn says:
So, if I'm using this product for a storm/screen door, this would be installed on the outside, not the inside like a pneumatic door closer - or is this the wrong product for a screen door?

Thx.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You would only install this door closer on the outside if your screen door is an out-swing door, so that it can help push the screen door closed. Is your screen door out-swinging? If you're not sure, you can take pictures of the closer you have now. You can also go to our storm door section and see the different closers we have that may fit your screen door.
It is, but I have to assume this is an unusual way (on the outside) to use this, no?

I initially thought this was an interesting closer - which is what I'm looking for since the 2 spots on my jam/door (high/low) have been "stripped" so I am looking for something different.

thanks
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
It is a little unusual, yes, but using the 40-189 for a storm door is unusual in and of itself. This part is normally used on interior passage doors, not screen or storm doors. For example, we use it at home to keep the basement door shut.
Thanks for reply, Donna. What Swisco product would you suggest for my screen door?
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
It's hard to say without seeing what you had originally. Like Dave said, you can browse through our storm door section for a possible replacement. You could also consider our 40-002, 40-016, and 40-077, all of which are standard closers. I cannot guarantee they will work, but they're worth a look. If you have a heavier door, you should consider something like the 40-015 instead.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)