SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

40-189 and weather exposure

A quick learner from Bucks County PA says:
Hi, I'd like to mount this on our screen door that opens out from our screened deck. Can this "closer" be exposed to weather? Rain, snow, etc., without failing?
Hope so - because this looks to be our perfect solution to keep pets in without setting the latch!
Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. To be honest, I don't think this can be used on the outside. It's an interesting question, though. It is painted, and the spring is somewhat sealed, so if you keep it lubricated it may last, but there is no guarantee. I personally wouldn't recommend it.
A quick learner from Bucks County PA says:
Thanks for your reply, Dave.

For the price, I'll chance it.
Making it "weather resistant" looks easy enough (from the images) to put some non-hardening silicone caulk over the end screws, and with an adequate bead of caulk one either side of the rotating barrel (carefully sliced with a razor to allow for free movement) I think I can stretch its useful life long enough to satisfy my needs until something better comes along.

I would like to suggest that perhaps future models of this "closer" should include a pair of sealing gaskets at the rotating barrel. Their cost would be minimal but would expand the areas of use for this nice little device.

P.S. I'll try to remember to post a follow up at the end of the season if anyone is interested.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
We would be very interested in a follow up! I'm sure any result one way or the other would help other customers in the future. Thanks for ordering with us and let us know how it goes!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)