SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

40-211 Larson Brass Mortise Lever Set

A quick learner from St. Louis, MO says:
I am interested in using this lock set on a new 1 1/8" thick wooden door (assuming this unit can be used for such)and will need a strike plate. I understand that the 40-211 does not come with a strike plate (brass). It appears that I am referred to a 40-197 "strike plate". This item appears to be a reinforcement for a brass strike plate

So what do I need to do this job ?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The 40-197 is a possible match, but it is only listed as something other customers had bought with the 40-211. There's no guarantee it could work for you. To be honest, there are many possibilities. Do you have your old keeper handy? If so, can we see a few pictures of it? Could we also see the space where the keeper installs?
A quick learner from St. Louis, MO says:
I don't have an "old" keeper. This is a new installation (not trying to match old hardware). Most locksets come with an appropriate strike plate. Dose this set have a "matching" or "companion" strike plate ? This would be for a door 1 1/8" thick fitting into a frame to accommodate that size door.

Can you tell me the thickness of the lock body ? (that part embedded into the door. I assume it would be smaller than the 5/8" outside plate.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I took a close look at the mortise part of the 40-198 lock. The depth of the mortise is 1-5/8", including the face plate, and the width of the body is 1/2". I'm not sure if this lock is the best option for a new wood door installation, to be honest. Normally, wood storm door manufactures use something like our 40-096. This requires less cutting into the side rail of the door. The 40-211 mortise needs a larger cut out in the wood which could weaken the side rail. Did you take a look at our other surface mounted lock sets for storm doors? See our 40-160 and 40-058. These type of lock sets just need some holes drilled into the face of the side rail, with no mortising.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)