SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

400 series spiral tube balance

A quick learner from burlington ontario canada says:
l7l2k4
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I am sorry, I do not understand your inquiry. Do you need help choosing the proper spiral balance? Is "l7l2k4" your stamp?
A quick learner from burlington ontario canada says:
can I use series 400 spiral balance on wood windows
and bracket #32
Profile picture of Paul
Yes, the Series 400 Spiral Balance can be used with wood windows. Please take a look at the 17-026 Bracket, #S 32.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The Series 400 are normally used for light weight windows, generally up to 22 Lbs.. The fittings that go with Series 400 are #17-030 or #17-031.
If the sash is heavier, like 30 Lbs., then look at Series 500 with #17-007 or #17-012.
A handy person from burlington ontario canada says:
How do you determine the correct length of a spiral balance for non-tilt window.(window sash is 27 3/4" L)
Profile picture of Paul
We recommend you remove the balance and measure the metal portion of the balance only. This will determine the balance length.
Paul,
do not have the existing spiral balance to measure the length, (sash 27 3/4")
Profile picture of Paul
In order for us to help you identify a replacement, we will need the length of the metal portion of the balance.
Paul

Sorry, do not have the exterior metal portion of the spiral balance. Do have the interior metal spiral part which measures 27 3/4". Does this mean I should order a 28" spiral balance?
Profile picture of Paul
The channel portion will be shorter than the inside portion (spiral). I believe the S400-27 Spiral Balance and S500-27 Spiral Balance are both viable options. As stated earlier, the Series 400 are used for light weight windows, generally up to 22 lbs. The Series 500 would be used for windows weighing upward to 30 lbs.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)