54" Orange tip spiral balances

A home owner from USA says:
Dear Swisco,
I am looking to replace 54" high orange spiral window balances. Is this something you have in stock? If not what would be a rough estimate per piece to have them made? I have 8 double hung windows all in need of replacement. I will also need some other parts as well but wanted to check on this size before getting my list together.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you need a spiral balance, but that's about all I can say. Is 54" the length of the balance tube? If not, can you tell me what is? Also, what is the diameter of the tube? Finally, it seems like theses are tilt windows, but can you just confirm?
A home owner from USA says:
I wanted to get these dimensions to you sooner than later but this weekend I will take some detailed photos to confirm what I need. Yes they are tilt windows they go up and down but when you clean them they tilt inward toward you...
The tubes are 5/8"
thank you again for your time. N
Profile picture of Tom
Great, thank you. I would still like you to confirm the length of the tube, just to be sure. 54" is extraordinarily large and we would have to custom make a replacement balance option.
A quick learner from NJ says:
...you are right to measure twice cut once it is only 52" tall. still pretty tall.
attached some more photos.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
...did I say 52" just measured another window I meant 51"

User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Perfect, thank you. We can make these, though it will have to be a custom order due to the size. We have all the information we need, I would just like to know how many you need. Then I can send you a price quote and order form!
we have 8 Windows 2 per window for now total 16.
if we also did the 2 upper outer windows does that make 4 per window?
can you price it separately although would there be a savings if we get more?
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks, I'll send you a price quote and order form for the 16 bottom sash balances. I would check your top sash balances to be sure that they're the same. Sometimes they are, but it's not a guarantee and for these I think it would be better to check.
The price quote says red tip...I think mine are orange.
I will measure the tops to be sure.
What other parts will I need I'm thinking of replaceing
- shoes
- metal bars that screw into the bottom of the window and fit into the shoes.
- weather striping ( mine seems to thick and windows pull down upper window when closing.
thanks again
Profile picture of Tom
Don't worry, orange is considered Red in the trade. Every manufacturer uses slightly different shades of Red but it's all counted as the same thing.

We can help you replace the other parts you mentioned, but we will also need pictures and measurements. For the seal, it is important that we can see a clear view of the end.
ok I'll take more photos and measurements. give me a week I'm away right now. I had a few of the shoes and ends but I'll need to measure. thanks n
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks again! The pivot shoe with the black center cam seems to match our 15-047, while the pivot bar looks like our 26-040. Finally, for the top tilt latches, look at our 26-176 and 26-177.
May I buy 2 balances to check they work before ordering all 16?
Nancy
So here's the deal...I think the weather stripping is an incorrect pile thickness. when closing the window it pulls down the upper window or there is a very hard thump. With that said the sample weather stripping photographed is correct for the track but may be to bushy? Thanks nancy
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
What I have done in some cases like this was to take a single edge razor blade and give the wool pile a "hair cut." That might do the trick. If not, we do carry an assortment of different sized wool pile that you can consider.
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.