57-102 in regards to frame expansion and shrinking

A home owner from Miami, Fl. says:
Will these clips also help with the expansion & shrinking of the metal frame due to heating and cooling in day/night? My windows cracked after a few days when I last replaced them.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I suggest back bedding the glass in the frame so that the glass is not laying directly on the metal of the frame. Also, try squeezing the glazing spring to take some of the tension off and lessening the pressure on the glass edge. The 57-102 is mainly used for steel window frames.
A home owner from Miami,Fl. says:
Back bedding? Never heard of that. What type of material would be used? I guess I could go take a picture of the window frame, if you need it.
Don
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
These type of glazing clips are normally used in steel window sashes. I don't believe steel windows are affected by expansion and contraction as much as aluminum or vinyl. What I meant by back bedding is that you should put a layer of putty or caulking in the sash to make a bed for the glass to lay in. That way you are not having the glass up against the metal. The backing bedding should cushion the glass and keep it from cracking.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.