SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

600 series balance tip color

A contractor from collingswood says:
I know I should replace balances with same tip color, but these are very heavy sashes, and almost all of the original balances have failed. Can it hurt to upgrade from existing red to a black tip to make sure it is heavy-duty enough? Not sure what the sashes weigh, but each sash is about 34" x 36", insulated glass vinyl window.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It would depend on your current sash weight. If you were to tell me how much it weighs, I can tell you whether moving to a Black Tip color option would be a good idea. I will also need to know the length of your balance's outer tube.
A quick learner from Collingswood says:
I have attached a photo of an existing balance - can you tell the color of the tip? It barely shows, and I am not good with colors. Also - can it hurt to have a heavier-duty balance than needed? I do not have the opportunity to go back and check out the existing color on the balances.
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I can't say for sure. It could be Red, but the picture is very obscured and I cannot be certain. It can hurt to have a heavier balance than needed, yes. If the spring is too strong then the window may not work properly.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)