SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

measurements

A quick learner from CT says:
Hi, Repairing 2 old wooden double hung windows with spiral balances housed in springs,, not tubes with colored clips as you show on your website. On one window the spring portion is bent from being forced open. Do you have any possible replacements?
Thank you
Carol
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Carol. We don't have this exact balance, but I believe you could substitute with our Series 500 spiral balance, along with a 17-012 bracket. Let me know what you think.
A quick learner from Norwich CT says:
Hi Paul,
I see you are recommending the 500 series with a 5/8" diameter size to replace the old spring style which is a 3/8 diameter. My concern is the larger size would not fit in the wooden channel on the sides of the Windows. Is there a reason you are recommending the larger size? Would the 400 series with the 3/8" diameter be appropriate in this situation?
Thank you,
Carol
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for clarifying, Carol. I've actually never come a cross a 3/8" balance in this type of wood sash. I would measure the opening where the balance tube fits into just in case. The Series 400 may possibly do the trick; it works on the same principle as the Series 500 balance. There's a first time for everything! If you'd like, you can also give me the length of the tube and the weight of the sash and I can recommend something more specific.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)