795 balance, except two differences

A quick learner from USA says:
My balances seem very similar to your 795 with the exception of a groove in the bottom of the channel and a hook on top as depicted in the attached pictures.

I have many wiondows and my balances are primarily 33D and 25C.

Hope you can help with my unusual balances.

Thank you,
Charles
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Charles. This is a special kind of balance that will need to be custom made. They don't make these with a groove anymore, but that won't be necessary. The biggest difference is the hook on top. Can you just tell me how many of each you need?
The length of the metal channel of the 33D is exactly 33 inches.
The length of the metal channel of the 25C is exactly 25 inches.
Without the groove, I don't know hat they will work with my pivot bars.

I would need 2 33D's to test.
Profile picture of Tom
Sure, I'll email you a custom order form for two of those right now.
A quick learner says:
Hi, I made the purchase but I was wondering how these would work without the groove for the pivot bar. Could you briefly explain why the groove isn't necessary?

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The way the balances are designed, the pivot bars actually come out just by twisting the sash upon removal. I've replaced this type of balance countless times and it works just fine without the groove. That's the main reason why the manufacturer phased this style out, as they also felt it was unnecessary.

A quick learner says:
Thank you. I received the balances and I was able to install them without difficulty as you predicted.

When I unlock the window with the new balances, the window now flies halfway up to the top. Is this normal behavior for new balances or are they overpowered for my window and should I have 33C's instead of 33D's?

I'm asking because I have other balances to order. If it is normal behavior and the springs just need time to fatigue and weaken, then I need to custom order 2 25C's with hooks or if overpowered, I need to order 25B's with hooks.

Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I'm sorry you're having trouble. It definitely sounds like the springs are overpowered. Did you have this problem with your old balances? If your old balances worked fine with the 33D stamp, then the new ones should be fine, as well. Can you also tell me the exact weight of the sash?
A quick learner says:
No, but the problem seems to have resolved itself. Maybe the springs needed to fatigue, but the window no longer lifts on its own. Can I order 2 25C's with the hook mechanism, please?
Profile picture of Tom
Sure! I'll email you a custom order link right now.
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.