SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

82-034 door handle replacement recieved

A home owner from Louisiana says:
I am an new home owner of an older home and all of this is new to me, I just have a couple of questions.

One, I ordered the sliding glass door handle with lock and key 82-034 and it looks just like the old one but when we put the new one on it didn't fit snugly and was loose when the screws were completely screwed in. It didn't have any washers with it and there weren't any on the old one. Should we get some rubber or metal washers here locally to make it fit snugly??

Also, when turning the lock it turns hard, would you recommend W-D 40? I don't want to mess up the new handles, would appreciate the advise, thanks!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon! Thanks for posting. It sounds like you might just want a shorter screw. You might want to take the screw or even the whole lockset to a local hardware store and see if there is a shorter screw you can use.

As for the lubricant, I'd use silicone spray. W-D 40 could gum it up, as it attracts dust.
A quick learner says:
Thank you for your prompt reply!
A professional from California says:
If you have a keyed outside handle, your inside lever may be pushing against the outside keyed tab.
You may need to shorten one or the other. Make sure that they both reach to the center (but not past center)of the mortise latch.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)