SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

82-261 Keyed set with plates

A handy person from California says:
Hi I bought this to replace a door handle on my very old sliding glass door. It arrived and I don't know if I can make it work. Is there someone who can help?
User submitted photo of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
No, it doesn't look like the 82-261 would work. Would you happen to know the manufacturer of your door? Can you also give me the distance between the original installation holes, measured from the center of each hole?
A quick learner from Ca says:
The glass itself says Guardian, there is a sticker on the frame of the door that says AAMA with code WE-1.
The original hole spacing is 3-15/16"
I just packaged up the handle and sent it back.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello, hopefully I can help. It's hard to be sure without having the original hardware on hand, but we may be able to find something.

I believe your door is thicker that the standard 1" thick patio door frame. You might be able to use something like our 82-003 handle. If you want to add a key lock to that, it normally takes the 82-301. Keep in mind that this is for 1" thick doors, though. You might need to order the 82-303 key cylinder with the longer tail. You could then cut it down on site to whatever size you need. You will also need to drill out the hole in the outside handle to install this key cylinder.
A quick learner from Ca says:
Thank you, the door actually is only 1" thick, the frame of course is larger. I need a key lock on this door and was hoping to install a heavier duty lock than the original. Do you have anything heavy that will fit the 82-003? The original handle has been replaced numerous times as this is the main door used to get in the house. I bought one from you before that fit. Not sure which one it was! I would like a good key lock too.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
They really don't make handles specifically to be heavy duty. If you find that you're going through handles a lot, the problem may in fact be the rollers. You shouldn't have to put a lot of pressure on a door to open it, and if you are, then the handles may be worn or the track may be damage. I would check that out just to be sure.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)