SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

84-232, and 83-006

A home owner from Nottingham NH says:
I am removing a screen door latch, model 84-232. Is model 83-006 a drop in replacement? I don't like the look and operation of 84-232. Would like a more positive latch for keeping my pets in. Model 83-006 looks like a good latching scheme. Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Both of these screen door latches work a little differently. First off, the 84-232 is a mortise type, which is cut into the patio screen door, while the 83-006 is a surface-mount latch with a surface-mount keeper. In short, they are not interchangeable with each other.

You might need to install the 83-006 either above or below your existing lock. If you all ready have the 84-232 installed on your screen door, make sure the keeper is set properly for the lock to catch onto it. There is also that square black button on the latch lever which is made to slide over and help secure the lock from opening.
A quick learner from Nottingham NH says:
Thank you for your reply regarding 83-006 screen door latch.
Is there a mortise style hardware latch that can be a drop-in replacement?
I really am not happy wth the 83-006 mechanism.

Will live with it if I have to, but will also just consider buying a new screen door.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I don't believe there is any other replacement for this lock set. I have found that every manufacturer has its own idea on locks and how they work; they are almost all different and very few are interchangeable.

When considering a new screen door, you might want to contact a contractor or glass shop that specializes in custom fit patio screen doors. The ones at the home centers advertise "one size fits all," but that is rarely the case.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)