SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

95-009 , 95-008 corner keys

A home owner from Woodstock, NY says:

Dear Swisco, re: need for a separate order.

In looking over your parts, or at least the ones I need, I am caught between a rock and a hard place. The base of the item #95-244 seems to be the correct size; however, the upright section is approximately 1/32" too thick. I looked at some of the similar products, and I do not get the impression that there is one that has both the correct base size of 3/16" (width and thickness) and an upright section in which the width is 3/16" and a thickness of 3/32".

With respect to the top corners, the side opposite the "male" end which is inserted into the storm window has that angled contour is a problem. The ones on the remaining storm windows here do not (it's just a stretch line down and no thicker than the actual width), and I am not sure about the dimension. I will spend a little more time examining the inventory.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It is getting harder and harder to supply storm window components. The reason is that more and more people are replacing them with the newer vinyl replacement windows. Furthermore, window companies are discontinuing their storm window line to make room for the replacement windows.

That being said, is it possible for you to file down the one leg on the 95-244 corners? I know we have done that in the past. Also, take a look at offset corners 95-146 and 95-147. Are they closer to the sizes you want?
A quick learner from Woodstock, NY says:

Hi. I went ahead and filed down the vertical leg of 95-244, and it worked fine. Admittedly, now that it is inserted, the horizontal leg is less snug (which was not noticeable before the filing ... did not want to damage it).

My main concern now is to find upper corners that fit properly. Also, I decided not to return the parts that were not going to be used. It cost more to mail them than they cost me. No biggie.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Great! I'm glad they filing it down worked. Let us know if you need anything else.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)