SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

A balance in the top jamb?

A quick learner from USA says:
I called earlier to get a suggestion on window balances for an old single hung aluminum frame window. Someone did a temporary repair adding a single balance mounted overhead in the frame, but doesn't work well as it's only lifting one side so it hangs up. See pics.

I would need a balance with two cords, or install two smaller balances overhead, one for each side. Hopefully you can recommend something that would work.

Window specs:

Inside top channel width: 35-3/8" long
Window overall height 44"-45"
Top fixed pane height: 22"
Bottom pane height: 23"
Cord length from current balance to window is 21"
Window weight: 15 lbs.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for contacting us. I'm having trouble finding an exact match for this balance. Specifically, I can't find anything that measures 35-3/8". If possible, could you remove it and remeasure? I would also like to see a picture of the attachment and whatever numbers are stamped on the over head balance. Thank you!
A quick learner says:
I do not want a match. The balance is not original and doesn't work properly. A maintenance employee had installed a balance that was laying around his shop just to hold the window open. It only holds one side, I need a balance that has a cord on both ends. OR two smaller balances I can mount in the opening, one for each side, so both sides are pulled up.

It is attached with screws into the upper frame. If you have two smaller 14"-15" balances that hold 7-8lbs each, then the window would operate.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
I'm afraid we don't have such a balance in stock. This will likely have to be custom made. Balances like this are very specific and have to be designed specifically for the window in question. We can try to make a smaller balance for you, but in order to calculate exactly what you need we will need information such as the length of the old balance, the extra cord length, and any numbers printed on the balance channel itself. Without this information we will not be able to determine the proper replacement.
A quick learner says:
There is no original balance. This window most likely had a completely different system. The one currently installed is in no way similar to the original. It was not from a similar window. If you use any specifications off the current one, it will not work.

The original mechanism may be behind the frame. I am try to avoid ripping the window out. The balance was temporarily put in just to hold the window open until something that would allow it to work properly could be made.

I don't know how else I can explain it. Using any numbers off the current one will not help. I've provided all the dimensions we have to work with, weight of the window, and cord length.

If there is nothing that will work with those specs then I'll have to find another mechanism.
Profile picture of Paul
Ah, I see. In that case, I'm not sure if we will be able to provide the hardware you need. These are delicate systems that really need to be made to work with your specific window. Your best bet is probably contacting the original supplier or manufacturer, if you are able to find them. A contractor familiar with homes in your area might also know who made these windows. I'm sorry we cannot offer an easier solution, but balances are just too specific even in the best circumstances. As I'm sure you've learned with the hardware you have installed now, it's not advisable to try and rig up a system that wasn't made for the window.
A quick learner says:
Ok, thanks for trying. I'll see what I can work out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)