A question from the sliding door video

A quick learner from California says:
For "Mike" who did your Youtube video on replacing the rollers on the bottom of a sliding glass door. I just watched the video. Why is it necessary to remove the stationary door? Our sliding glass door is the one toward the inside of the bedroom. Seems like I could just lift up the door and tilt the bottom inward (into the bedroom) and remove it that way. Would appreciate your reply.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I have always found that in most cases the sliding door would not lift up enough to clear the back lip on the bottom track. I'm not sure what type of door you have, though, so I suppose it's possible you have an exception. In some cases if the door is made of vinyl you might be able to lift it out from the inside of the house. For some wooden patio doors, you need to remove the piece of top molding on the top inside of the track to allow the door to drop out from the top toward you. Try to lift the door off from the inside and see if that works. If not then you will need to go to the out side of the house.
A home owner from Southern California says:
Dave,
Thanks for your comments. Visually it seems that the inside lip is about the same height as the outside lip.

I'm 81 years old, so I'm waiting until my son comes for a visit - and will have him help me. I know the door is quite heavy.

Jerry
A professional from CA says:
There are three normal configurations:

:: 1) Slider outside - screen inside
Rare. Only a few companies made these. Pella, Guaranteed, Arcadia, Ador(?)
Pella is the only one still in business (that I know of)

:: 2) Slider outside - screen outside
Very common 1960's - 1980's
Screen and glass panel need to be removed.

:: 3) Slider inside - screen outside
Very common 1960's - now.
Most aluminum doors require all panels to be removed.
Most vinyl doors are removed to the inside. - The door swings out from the bottom. Many new doors are extremely tight with no allowance for header sagging.

Most wood doors require a top molding to be removed - The door swings out from the top

Of course there are exceptions to these, for example, Some Andersen vinyl clad wood doors swing out from the bottom. Some older aluminum doors with low inner rails can swing out to the inside (Hi-Lite, Trimview, Art Door, some Acorn/Viking doors).
www.thepatiodoorguy.com
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.