Acorn DorWal Slider

A quick learner from New York says:
I just bought a house that has an approximately 20 year old Acorn DorWal sliding patio door that leads to a deck (I can't seem to find a model# but the numbers inside the glass are abc-1gcc-gba-jm89 if that's any help). The door is missing the sliding screen door. Any idea where I might be able to purchase one?
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
You will need to find a local source to manufacture a replacement screen door. You do not need to worry about your patio door's original manufacture, a local screen door company will be able to make one to fit. Here is a guide on how to measure for a new patio screen door: If you do not feel comfortable measuring for a new screen door yourself, you should be able to find a local contractor that can come out to your house to measure and install the new door for you. Try find a source for a screen door manufacture or contractor at your local mom & pop hardware store.
A home owner from Wheaton, IL says:
I need replacement handles for Acorn 1200 Series DorWals. The handles have 3 1/2" hole centers like the 82-004, but the frame thickness is 1 1/2". Will the 82-004 work?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The 82-004 is for the Acorn #1200 series Dorwal. In the spec sheet the #1200 series has a 2" latch spindle, the same as the 82-004.
A home owner from Monroe CT says:
Built my house in 1985. I believe that we have the Acorn #1200 series patio door. The handle has been broken for quite some time and has been replaced by several from Home Depot that are only for 1 inch thick doors and they break after a short time. It seems that there are conflicting opinions on this website as to whether or not part 82-004 will work for these doors as they are 1 1/2 inches thick. Please let me know because I would love to order the right replacement once and for all and fix the door properly.
Profile picture of Dave
At this time we don't have the Acorn piece you are looking for up on our site yet. They are hard to find but we are looking into it. We have the 82-004 handle here, though the black color is no longer available. (pardon the quality)
handle with latch
and the 2" latch I believe you are looking for, but were not sure if this it.
2" latch for 1- 1/2 Acorn door
Yes, I am very interested. Is the 82-004 a set with a handle and a piece for the other side of the door? There is a latch stuck inside the door that can lock the door from the old handle that is hanging by a thread.I am totally inept at all of this so I certainly welcome your thoughts.
Profile picture of Dave
Monroe, is there anyway you can send us pictures with measurements? I'd like to take a look at whats left of your handle.
A quick learner says:
Yes, I will do that when I get home tonight. I appreciate your help and your interest.
As requested, I took pictures of what is left of the door handle on the slider. I tried to take shots from different angles to give you the best opportunity to see the problem. Thank you. Handleless in Monroe.
Customer image of their Acorn sliding door handle
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Try the 82-004, if the door measures more than 1" thick you will need to reuse the original internal latch portion.
A home owner from Monroe says:
It is definitely 1 1/2 inches thick. There is an internal latch in there, however I don't know if it is the original or one that was used to replace the original throughout the years. My husband always replaced the handle however the door broke while he was ill and he passed away a month ago and I am unable to ask him what he did. If you think that the 82-004 is the way to go I will be happy to give it a shot.
Profile picture of Dave
If you look at the photos, you will see that even though the patio door is 1-1/2" thick the lock hole is offset. This leads me to believe that the manufacture used the standard lock. Also look at the keeper in the door jamb that too is offset. Now in a worst case, it seems your latch looks to be in working order still, so you could order the 82-004 and get a locksmith if you wished to install it and take a look at your latch to see if he would want to use that latch or replace it all together.
A home owner from Monroe, CT says:
I ordered it on Friday and am hopeful that it will work. I appreciate all of your help in this process. Your website is extremely innovative and quite user friendly with communications and pictures. I will let you know how we make out so the information may be shared with others
A quick learner from Connecticut says:
This is the fourth Acorn Dorwal slider set I will have installed (82-004). All the other three all broke in the same place. The others had the same wood handle but were either chrome or a brownish color for the metal part. Do you have any color other than white?
Profile picture of Dave
We have a black version 82-055. It looks a little different, but has the same hole configuration. Go on the website and compare it to your lock. Also if you are having problems with the handle breaking you could have a roller problem. It is possible your rollers need to be adjusted or replaced.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Also, check our track covers out, if you have dings in the track a new stainless steel track cover will provide a smooth surface for your door to roll on.
A handy person from Long Island, NY says:
Do you sell replacement parts for this company? I have a 8'X 5'2" slider that needs a seal and a handle. A sticker on the window provided this info: 1-GCC-362-CBA-A-K Code 130-1 Spec SGD-A2 Series 1200
Any help you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. I've added you to an existing discussion regarding Acorn DorWal hardware replacements. It's my understanding that the Series 1200 is a sliding patio door. To begin your search, take a look at the 82-004 Patio Door Handle Set and the 82-055 Sliding Door Handle Set. Compare your handle's dimensions to that of the 82-004 and 82-055. Let us know if you have any questions.
A handy person from Roscoe, IL says:
I need the 2 inch latch as pictured in the image Dave posted above for my patio door. I can get the handle locally but the latch itself is too short on the one that come from Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware and Menards. I can't reuse the old one due to the fact that the hook broke off of it. I am not having any luck finding one anywhere. Any suggestions?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, we do not sell that latch separately. You would have to purchase our 82-004 Patio Door Handle Set.
Reply to Thread
* Mandatory fields
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
82-004 : Acorn Patio Door Handle Set, 3-1/2
82-004
Price: $22.95
Acorn Patio Door Handle Set, 3-1/2"
82-055 : Acorn Sliding Door Handle Set, 3-1/2
82-055
Price: $21.85
Acorn Sliding Door Handle Set, 3-1/2
How to measure for a replacement sliding screen door
Guide
How to measure for a replacement sliding...
How to maintain a sliding glass door
Guide
How to maintain a sliding glass door