Add tension springs to my window screens

A handy person from Canada says:
The window screens I currently use a plastic butterfly clip as pictured in the picture. They are pressed into the top and bottom channels. The one just installs the screen and tension on the two wings holds the screen in place. Problem is I am replacing these clips every few years as they become brittle and break very easily from being exposed to environmental factors. I would like to retrofit all my screens with a leaf type tension spring. I am assuming I could drill holes in the screen and install a leaf spring ? My screens are aluminum channel with plastic corners. I doubt I could use a screen corner spring without disturbing the screening or taking the screen apart to install.

Thanks Geoff
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for writing in. Yes, You are right about the corner spring: you will have to take the frame apart to install. I also recommend our 70-011 leaf spring, which uses 5/32" holes set up 3-3/16" apart. Take a look and see what you think. 

A quick learner says:
Thanks Paul !! I'll order those. I'm assuming the 5/32 is designed that the springs stay in place on their own.

Have a great day !
A quick learner from North Vancouver BC says:
Thank you, Geoff. I am also from Canada and am also having the frustration of dealing with these inferior plastic butterfly clips that secure the window screens in place. Mine broke up after just one year, as I was removing the screens so that the outside of the window could be cleaned. I can't find these 70-011 leaf springs anywhere in Canada. I've rung 3 local window/screen replacement firms locally and they tried to tell me that they can source only the plastic clips. I informed them that the better-quality, traditional leaf springs were available is they were motivated to find them. Too bad that people are accepting such a reduced standard - and throwing away all those plastic clips every couple of years. Thank you for continuing to carry the proper gear!
SWISCO Screen Corner Spring [1080p]
SWISCO Screen Corner Spring [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.