SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Adding exterior key lock to current handle

A home owner from Northern Virginia says:
Currently, i have the handle that does not support exterior key locking (displayed in attached pictures). I would like to change the exterior handle to support a key. My questions are :

- Can i use the same lock mechanism and just replace the exterior handle (if so, which one?)
- Do i need to change the whole handle set to gain the exterior key feature? (if so , which one?)

Your assistance will be appreciated.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! I believe our 82-310 can work for this handle set. You will need to drill a hole in the outside handle in order to install it.
A home owner from Northern Virginia says:
Thank you Tom for the response.

I am seeking for a exterior handle that already has the key structure embedded into instead of drilling a hole.

What do you think about 82-320? Do you think that will solve the problem?

A professional from CA says:
You would need to drill from the inside out to center the hole. This needs to be done carefully. Once the hole is centered from the inside, you can switch to the outside to finish it. Then you need a screw to hold the cylinder in the handle. Then get the tail cut off at the right length. Just using 82-306 might be easier. Tom, order some white ones.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid there is no premade keyed outside handle for this patio door set. Our friend from California has some great advice on what you can do.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)