SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Adding shims to make the 40-160 work with a 7/8" thick door

A handy person from Baltimore, MD says:
This looks like the same hole spacing as the lockset on my door. My door is 7/8" thick Better Bilt door that I purchased at Lowes in 2003. The hardware was made by Ultra Hardware. I contacted MI Home Products, the company that made the Better Bilt door and they said that they don't carry that hardware anymore.

If I were to put shims under the inside components of your hardware set, it seems to me that it should work. I would have to make adjustments to the keeper. Do you think that this might work? I am pretty certain that the hole patter is identical to your model #40-160. I may have to enlarge the existing hole for the center hole of your lockset.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I have used the 40-160 Lever Lock Set to replace some of the "home center" type doors. You may have to improvise a bit, but it should work. As far as the shims, take a look at the 40-179 .125" Latch Shim.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)