SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Additional measuring help for FlexScreen

A quick learner from NYC says:
Hi, I love the concept of FlexScreen. We have 35 +/- windows with screens that are frequently falling out. I am concerned about measuring properly, even with the online tips. Do you have any more detailed instructions to ensure I measure correctly?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your interest in Flexscreen.

Have you tried using our online FlexScreen ordering wizard which walks you through the measuring process? If so and you still have questions, I would be happy to give you a recommendation on screen sizes to try.

Flexscreen works best in window systems that have a screen track or pocket. Typically, we recommend measuring the total screen area from the depth of the depth of the pocket on one side to the the opposite side and subtract 3/16". This is done for both the width and the height. If you screen pocket depth is less than 3/16", then I recommend subtracting half of the screen pocket depth on one side from the total screen area.

Does this help? If not, can you tell me the type and brand of windows are you trying to screen? If you have pictures of the windows and depth measurements of your screen track, I can provide further advice.

Thank you, again.
Mike
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I did look at the online guide. To clarify, should the measurements be from the inside end (wall) of pocket to inside end of opposite pocket?

The window manufacturer no longer exists. They are Rivco single or double hung. I will send pictures once I take them.

The "pockets" seem to be fabricated by a border of window trim or casing around the top and sides of the window that creates the pocket. Does that make sense?
Profile picture of Mike
When you send pictures, let me know if these are Vinyl, Wood or Aluminum Windows. RIVCO made wood windows and also distributed vinyl and aluminum windows.

Clarify the type of window. Double Hung Windows have both lites of glass that slide. Single hungs have only the bottom lite of glass that moves.

Take pictures of the screen track in the jambs (sides of window), the head (top) and sill. Put a tape measure next to the pics if possible. Measure the depth and the width of the screen pocket (the part of the window that holds the screen in your window.

The measurement that you are trying to take would be the inside wall where the perimeter of screen frame would touch to the inside wall on the opposite side where the opposing perimeter of the screen could touch.

Thank you,
Mike
Hi Mike,

The window pockets are quite shallow – 3/16" maximum. Also, they are on the sides only. From outside of pocket to outside of pocket (i.e., not including pocket depth), it is 32 1/16" wide.

There is a downward slant on the sill with a "lip" depression that is supposed to be even with the start of the pocket (but it is not so on every corner of every window) – see pictures. From top to bottom where the depression is properly level with the start of the pocket, the height is 54-3/4" where the depression intrudes into the pocket, the height is 54-9/16". Is the 3/16" variability significant? If so, I could chisel out the overlap and repaint.

The pocket width is 5/16".

There are deep pockets (look like tracks for the top section) on the bottom of the frame (see picture). Would it be better to measure for those?

Existing screens (outside frame measurement) are 31 13/16" x 54-1/2" x 7/16" deep (deeper than the pocket – that probably is why they fall out).
User photos of their window screen track.
Profile picture of Mike
Hi Michael,

I received your pictures and measurements of you double hung window. I would suggest ordering one screen to try.

It sounds like the total screen area width is 32-7/16" (3/16 + 3/16 + 32-1/16"). I would suggest remeasuring to make sure. I would then deduct 1/8". FlexScreen's tolerances are +/- 1/16". Therefore, I would try the width at 32-5/16"

For the height, you should measure the screen area opening from the sill to inside of the screen pocket in the head and deduct 3/16". If your existing screen fits into the head and sits on the sill, then you could use the existing height of the screen. Please note, you want Flexscreen to go into the pocket in the head of the window.

Please let me know how the order goes.

Thank you,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

There is no pocket at the head - it's flat. Does that present a problem?
Profile picture of Mike
As long as the screen has a pocket in the jambs to hold it in, you should be fine. I would measure the height from where the screen will rest to the top of the head and deduct 1/16".

You should also clear out any paint or dirt in the screen track and sill.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)