SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Adjusting Anderson Balance?

A handy person from New Jersey says:
I have a circa 1990 Anderson Perma-Shield Narrowline Double Hung Window with a sash balance that seems too tightly wound on one side. As a result, the window does not close tight and square with the sill on one side. There is a great deal of tension on the cords. Is there an adjustment to control (release) some of the tension or do I have to replace the unit?

Thanks,

Rich
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid you can't adjust Andersen balance boxes. If this is an original balance, you will need to replace it. If it isn't what was originally installed when the window was made, though, then whoever repaired it used the wrong spring weight.

In either event, I would like you to give us the numbers printed on both boxes. I would also like you to give us the size of the visible glass for both the top and bottom sash. Thanks!
A handy person from New Jersey says:
Paul,

Thanks for your reply to my inquiry. In the interim I phoned Anderson Customer Service who mirrored your reply about adjustment. However, they suggested greasing the strings which actually improved the situation to make it "good enough" for now. These are the original balance boxes (circa 1990). It is good to know that you have them available... hopefully at a better price than Anderson. I have a feeling that I will be in the market soon.

Thanks,

Rich
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)