SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Alcan window parts

A quick learner from Vero Beach, FL says:
I just purchased a house with Alcan windows and several are broken. This metal part on the side of the window just pops out. Do you have this part? The window height is 40 inches on this unit. Also, how are these installed?

Thanks

Jerry
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sounds like the top sash guide on your window broke. We actually have a video all about this problem. Check it out below.
As you can see, you will need new top sash guides. If you have an Alcan window you may have our 18-161, but I cannot say for sure. How well does it compare to your existing hardware?
A quick learner from Vero Beacg says:
Yes your right about what part was broken and I now understand how it works. Your part in the video does not look exactly the same as mine and mine are brown in color also. Do you have them in brown to match my windows? I have attached 2 more pics of each side of the window top. One with the top sash guide in place and the other broken one. The top guide appears to be about 3/4" by 1/2".

Jerry
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Jerry. There are many, many different varieties of top sash guides. I cannot tell what you have, but if you are able to remove the undamaged one and take a picture of it by itself we can make a suggestion! It will also help if you provide dimensions. Thanks!
A quick learner from Vero Beach, FL says:
Thanks Tom, I did remove one and checked the dimensions with ones on your website and found one that I believe is correct. It is white, but figure I can use a marking pen to color the top of it, which is the only part that shows. I did place an order for several of those, plus a channel balance that I found broken on another window. Thank for the help and the YouTube videos are great for diy repair folks like me.

Jerry
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
No problem! Let me know if you need anything else.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)