SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Alternative use for Pile Weatherstripping

A home owner from Coshocton, OH says:
We had a contractor hang our new front door. But, he measured the old door and cut the new one to those dimensions instead of measuring the door opening (forgetting that he removed part of the frame trim). So, the door is now too small for the opening and has a huge gap. (See pictures) Could I install the pile weatherstripping in the door jamb to cover the ugly gap? and could I staple or nail it to the wooden door jamb? I'm not sure which size to use; I found 2 sizes that might work. Could I order both and return the one that doesn't work?
User submitted photos of a door.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, and thanks for posting. If the outside weatherstripped meets the door, then you can just move the interior trim trim closer to cover the gap. If you want, you can also try adhering our 58-026 stick-on weatherstripping to the back of interior trim to make it more weather tight. No stapling is necessary, since it has a sticky base.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
I have used the 58-026 around the perimeter of my prime door opening with great success but also check out 58-169, it looks similar to what you currently have but the 58-169 might be larger and could possibly fill that gap.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)