SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Aluminum window balances

A handy person from Waxahachie TX says:
I have Danvid single-hung aluminum windows that do not have removable sashes. I was successful in removing the balancer but it does not have a colored tip. It appears I need the 30" Series 306 Spiral Balance (Product Code: S306-30). One size of window, the sash weighs ~22#. The other size, the sash weighs ~18#. Can you tell which tip color (red or green) I should order? I plan to replace 15 balancer pairs. Should I opt for the speed handle type tool for $4 more? Or put another way, is winding the balancers a big deal? Thanks.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, John. You might be better off with a Green Tip in both instances. Two 30" Series 306 spiral balances with Green Tips can carry a window sash weight range of 14 through 26 pounds.

Winding the balance is very important, so if you do not have a tool then you should certainly consider one.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)