SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

American Seal windows keep popping out of retainer

A home owner from Chesterfield, VA says:
Hi,

In my house we have over 60 windows (big house), all American Weather seal, line 101-N
We have already purchased parts from you, and actually we have on order 50 pivot bars.
About 50% of the windows are binding and many times the pivot pops out of the retainer in the track, would you have any advise or maybe the complete parts list for this window? + schematic.

Thanks in advance,
Sam L.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Seeing as how they are binding, you might need a new balance entirely. We don't have a part list of this brand window, but that does mean we don't carry what you need. Many window companies use the same parts. If you want, you can send a few pictures of what you need and I can try to identify them for you.
A home owner from Richmond VA says:
Thanks for the reply, I will take some pictures and forward.

Sam
A handy person from Richmond VA says:
Hi Paul,

Attached are photos from one of the windows, this one is one of the few that is working somewhat smoothly.
I will send another e-mail with the rest of the pics

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks,

Sam
User submitted photos of window hardware.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Great! I may be able to work with this. The tilt bar looks like our 26-241, while the balance looks like it may be our Series 775, but it's hard to say for sure since I can't quite make out the shoe. I'll need to see a better shot.

To take the balances out, first remove the sash. Then, with self locking needle nose pliers, lock onto the string just below the balance itself, then remove the top window stop to unscrew the balance and slide it down gently to its shoe. Finally, turn the shoe to get it out of the track. Once it's out, you can take a clearer picture for us. Thanks!
A quick learner from Richmond VA says:
This weekend I decided to start replacing the pivot pins, 95% of the lower sash were bend, some badly damaging the window where the pivot pins sit in. Picture attached. We installed all the 50 we purchased and ordered another 50 to finish the rest of the windows.

Once the new pivot pins were installed the windows moved much better, not perfect but acceptable.

What would cause this mess?

Thanks,

Sam
User submitted a photo of weather seal.
Profile picture of Paul
Hmmm, that's weird. I wonder if maybe the pivot bars are out too far and are rubbing on the back of track. That would cause the twisting of the pins. Could you adjust them back a little bit?
Actually, I don't think this is the case, the upper sash are assembled the same way and non of the bars are bend.
I think who ever was doing the window cleaning, tilting it out to clean outside but when tilting back the pin was out of the shoe and when you close the window with some force, the pin is above the holder / shoe and at the bottom there is no room for it therefor it would bend the pins.
Since the track is part of the window, to properly fix it it would require a filler piece in the cavity under the track.

Sam
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, you know what, I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. The problem likely lays in how the sashes were removed.

All sashes should be raised a few inches before they're tilted in or out. Trying to tilt them while they're closed could cause some damage, though usually it's the shoe that breaks. You must have some pretty strong shoes if the metal bent first!
Even if the sash is a few inches up, removing is no the problem, however when you put it back not making sure the pivot bar is in the shoe, the window will drive the shoe down, it has a tilt brake only to the up motion, than the shoe is below the pivot bar.
If the shoe was a hard plastic such as PVC, the shoe will break, but this shoe looks as it is made of a poly family material which will bend and flex.
None of them were broken but who ever damaged the pivot bars was consistent, I replaced 50 bars last weekend and will do the rest when the bars we ordered from you come in.

Sam
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)